Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A little quilting.

Well I have been very busy the last few weeks. Summer is coming to a close and it seems like everyone always wants to squeeze as much as possible into the last few weeks of summer. I have had a busy month I had some family come for a visit at the beginning of of the month and we were able to go to the beach and relax for a day. I also had the pleasure of showing my family our local yarn shop and also our quilt shoppe. It was fun to see how the reacted to a store full of luxury yarn! My cousins crochet and would like to learn how to knit so they were very excited to see all the lovely yarn and the pattern books. I especially liked the Noro yarns. They have so many styles and colorways!!


So I decided I was going to try my hand at hand sewing a quilt for my room. Don't worry its nothing to big just a simple wall hanging. I have been working on sewing a queen size quilt for my bedroom and I just thought it would be neat to have a wall hanging above my bed in the same colors and fabrics as my big quilt. So a friend of mine and I sat down one day and she helped me pick out some quilt blocks and plan out my wall hanging. We set to work cutting out one of the quilt blocks and we decided we would cut out all the ones for that particular block seeing as I only needed 6. Well to make a terribly long story short it was a bad decision on my part to not test sew the block before cutting out all 6 and starting to sew them. The first block I sewed up I couldnt get any of the peices to line up, so I thought it was just me being a inexperienced quilter. Well I started on the second and third blocks and they still were not lining up! So in my frustration I decided to wait till I had a friend of mine over who is a experienced quilter. We both looked at the block and measured the templates we made and everything lined up perfectly to the templates but they didnt line up to the other peices that make up the square. So I set it aside for a few months and I finally decided to pick it back up this month. I made the decision that I would just scrap the block I was working on and pick a new one. So I picked out a new block that thankfully used some of the pieces that I had already cut out and now this block is sewing up nicely. I test sewed the block this time before I went and cut out all the peices. While I was cutting things out I decided to snap a few pictures of the mess I made on the table. I hope you will share some of your experiences with knitting or quilting with me and I look forward to hearing you comments






It would not be quilting with out cherry coke!



No comments:

Post a Comment