Monday, August 13, 2012

On My Toes.

This week we have had some chillier weather which has been a nice change from the hot temperatures we have had this summer. With the cooler temps I had the urge to start knitting some more socks. My mom had me purchase some sock yarn for her to make her some knee socks, so this week I decided to start them.

The pattern my mom had picked out is from the The Joy of Sox. by Linda Kopp I have made a pair of socks from this book before which you can see in an earlier post. I have heard stories about how turning the heel is awful and that once you get the first sock done the second sits there and waits forever to get done. I must be different than most people because I found that I enjoyed the whole process of knitting a pair of socks. The turning of the heel was rather scary for me but I found that it was rather simple once I got started on it. Once I finished the first sock I couldn't wait to get started on the second one and I couldn't seem to put it down once I started knitting it! I finished the socks in no time at all and found myself disappointed that it was over already and I was looking forward to starting my next pair. Summer arrived before I knew it and it was to warm to knit with wool very comfortably. :)  So when the weather turned cooler I started moms socks! I think sock knitting is my favorite type of knitting if that can be possible! :) 

The pattern is called Afternoon Delight and the socks are knee socks and knitted from the toe up. This will be my first time knitting socks from the toe up ( not a huge surprise since this is only my second pair of socks that I have knitted.) I had several different toe up cast ons that the book suggested and i finally settled on the Turkish cast on. I managed to muddle my way through it and figured it out on the first try with one small snag I casted on to many stitches! Much to my dismay I found myself tearing it out and trying again the next 3 tries were somewhat successful but I kept dropping stitches finally on the 5th attempt I managed to complete the Turkish cast on successfully! I was very happy that I managed to complete it without googling a video of how to do it!! :) I have been working on them for 4 days now and I am very happy with my progress. I have completed the toe increase and I am working on the length of the foot to start the turning of the heel. I cannot wait to show you all my progress as soon as I have time to sit down and snap some pictures. 

Hope you all are doing well and having a lovely end to your summer. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment